Monday, June 22, 2009

Mail Boxes & Lockers

Sandra is in California this week, which means I’m a little bored, which is translating into a plethora of blog posts. I hope you appreciate this, because on Wednesday I leave for Chicago, and you’ll have to spend six days checking other blogs.

Today, another useful part of daily life at YDS: the commuter lounge. More specifically, what’s in the commuter lounge. The commuter lounge is a, uhm, lounge on the first floor of YDS. To one side is Holy Grounds our preciously named coffee kiosk that we hope you’ll become more familiar with during BTFO. Bookending the commuter lounge are our mailboxes and the commuter lockers.

Everyone at YDS gets assigned a mailbox (below, a shot from Beth, my iPhone, inspired by Michael Wolf, and another of the whole bank of ‘em with fewer pretensions).
Oh, I actually kind of like that one.

You’ll get a key to your very own mailbox during BTFO from Patricia O., YDS’s receptionist extraordinaire. PLEASE CHECK YOUR MAILBOX, at least occasionally. You will get a decent amount of junk mail in here (trying to sell you lecture series rather than carpeting), but there are a few people like me who actually view them as a means of communication and will attempt to drop you notes.

A great mystery to many divvies* are the lockers at the far end of the commuter lounge. Here’s the basic formula:
1) These lockers are available on a first-come-first-serve basis to any and all commuting students.
2) If you do not live in the div school apartments, you are a commuter student. That is, even if your "commute" to school is a five-minute walk, you are a commuter student.
3) They look like this:
The end. If you’d like one, talk to Patricia. You’ll have to bring in your own combo lock, and clean it out at the end of the school year (or the Yale staff will cut your lock and take your stuff).

By the way, my birthday is in April, and if you decorate my locker with Backstreet Boys stuff, I will be your friend forever.

-Kate

*I think I made that word up, and am hoping it will catch on. Please use it in a sentence today.

No comments:

Post a Comment