Sunday, March 29, 2009

Who We Are: Kate


Along with Sandra, I'd like to extend a very warm welcome to all of you joining us on this blog, and hopefully on campus next year. I am a few weeks (and several papers) away from finishing the first year of my M.Div degree. Although I was raised in suburban Philadelphia, I now hail from Chicago, where I am pursuing ordination with the Episcopal Church. In fact, I just received postulancy status in the Diocese of Chicago this week! (As the Episco-babble belies, I am also enrolled at Berkeley Divinity School at Yale - the Episcopal seminary attached to Yale - where I will complete a Diploma in Anglican Studies alongside the M.Div.) For me, YDS is a professional school - I've come here to gain the skills and knowledge I need to be a parish priest.

I attended University of Chicago for undergrad, majoring in Anthropology and Linguistics. Like quite a few of you, I took almost no religion coursework in college. After school I worked for two years as a college admissions counselor, and still get random calls and emails from schools in Dallas and Albuquerque as a result. My life since coming to New Haven has included slightly less travel, but infinitely more potlucks.

Hope to see you soon!

-Kate Spelman

About the photo: First of all, I have very very few photos of myself which don't include a) other people b) something totally insane. (For clarity's sake, I've used a photo from category B for this exercise.) This one was taken during my YDS-sponsored trip to El Salvador over spring break, during which I traveled around with nine other YDS folks and ate some delicious Pollo Campero. The chicken and I are waving hello to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment