Friday, May 22, 2009

What it means to be a Yale student: Part 2,409 in a 109,293-part series

There’s a LOT tied up in what it means to be a Yale student, but in this season of unexpected wonderful things, I’d like to touch on just one: you can see a lot of art for free.

No doubt you’ll visit the Yale Art Gallery and the Center for British Art (in which I am mostly interested because it’s a Louis Kahn building). They’re both excellent museums, and wonderful respites for when you’re really sick of everything, and just want to see some paintings. Or, again, if you’re me – some great decorative art.

But did you know that your Yale ID will ALSO get you into the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art? I actually didn’t, until I drove up there. (It’s normally a 2.5 hour drive, max, but thank to MassDOT and a water main break near Springfield along I-91, it took us 5 hours.)

No joke! Since Yale University helped fund the 25-year Sol LeWitt installation , you get free admission with your Yale ID. (Ed. note: I frankly don't really understand why Sol LeWitt is enjoyable - yes, I get why he's important, but I'd rather look at the George Bolster stuff for kicks.)

So if you’re REALLY sick of everything, and can only be comforted by innovative video art or installation pieces, drive on up past my old high school and check out MassMOCA. (Then drive on over to the People’s Pint in Greenfield, Mass, and get a growler to take back as a souvenir.)

Safe and happy travels – whenever you’re going this summer!

-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment