Saturday, July 25, 2009

Who's Who: Lisa H., Reigstrar

Our registrar, Lisa H., likes to joke that the admissions office’s job is to get students in the door, hers is to get folks out – and hopefully with a degree. Sadly, I don’t have any grandiose metaphor in which I compare Lisa to a website. Testimonial: my general experience with her has been more than pleasant; before I even met her she was watching my back as I tried to register for a course at the Yale School of Management. (Which didn’t work out – please come talk to me about the SOM’s whacky academic calendar before you try to take a class there - but which Lisa would have made happen if I so desired.)

Lisa performs all the normal duties you’d expect from a registrar – her office is where you’ll pick up transcripts, notify the school if you change your student status, and process the paperwork you’ll need to take a class pass/fail. You’ll also come to Lisa’s office to keep your student ID valid – Yale requires that you have a little sticker showing when your ID expires.

In addition, Lisa would like everyone to know that she has an open-door policy. No appointments are required to stop by and chat with her. While you will have a faculty advisor assigned, and the first stop you make for life-related drama will generally be one of the deans, Lisa is a great option to bounce course-related ideas off of, and her knowledge of the school runs deep – before becoming registrar, Lisa was bookstore manager for years, which is where this photo comes from:

Lisa is on the right, and is not a zombie. Incidentally, the guy on the left is our tech/web services dude, Brock H. (no relations to Lisa). I’ve never met Brock in the flesh, so I cannot guarantee that he is not a zombie. (There’s a joke in here somewhere about tech people spending too much time with their computers, but I’ll let that one slide for right now. There's also a joke about meeting zombies "in the flesh", but it's Saturday and I'm officially not working. DIY, kids!)

Lisa would also like me to serve notice that, in addition to making sure you get appropriately registered for classes, she’s available for any conversations you’d like to have about hot air ballooning or whales. (Not even Google Image can really combine these two like Lisa can.)

-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment