Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Introducing ... Susan Olson and the Career Couseling Office!

Susan is one of my more dedicated blog followers, and was kind enough to write a lovely little blurb introducing herself and her office. Also to provide a kind of hilarious photo (someone's got a Mac with photobooth!)



YDS is one of only three theological schools in all of the US and Canada to have its own dedicated career counseling office. (For the answer to which other schools share this distinction, you'll have to come to S-116 to ask me in person!)

While the whole "advertising jobs and cajoling you into applying for them" part of a career counseling office is far off for most of you, we do have several services that might be of interest to you now---

*first and foremost career counseling---free & confidential. I can't solve your love-life woes, but happy to take on those thorny questions of career and calling. Included in career counseling is the option to take the Strong Interest Inventory or the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator and have these interpreted. (I even have super-fancy looking certificates that say I'm qualified to do this!) This is a great first step if your career plans are, shall we say, murky, or if those once-crystal clear plans change.

* resume workshops, offered by my able work-study student Michelle Boomgaard

* tons-o-books to check out--about career options, resumes, cover letters, test-taking. We also have a lovely collection of GRE flashcards (both math and verbal) for loan.

* opportunities to connect you with alumni/ae who are doing the types of things that you are interested in pursuing.


Sadly, I'm not able to help spouses find work, or help with employment while you're in school. Part-time jobs can be found advertised on (say with with me, you know the answer by now) dalemail.

Hope to see y'all soon, and let me be the 934th person to say, welcome to YDS. I've held many, many different titles in my time at YDS, but the most important one I have is the first one I received: alum. If your days on the quad are even half as life-changing and fun as mine were, you will be indeed very blessed.

Peace,
Susan Olson

No comments:

Post a Comment