Monday, August 24, 2009

Our Very First Day! (Is Over)


First of all, thank you all so much for your flexibility and your kindness. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to our Small Group Leaders, who are being even more awesome and resilient than I might have expected. Other than our minor fiasco with dinner, we are doing pretty well -- and all of you rockstars handled that impressively. I hope in three months you get a chuckle out of saying to one another "Remember that time we had pizza on the quad at like 9pm? Wasn't that the first time we met each other?"

I'd also like to personally thank each and every one of you who came up and expressed your thanks. Unfortunately, I cannot do this, since I don't remember anyone's names. I do appreciate the compliments, though, and I look forward to actually figuring out who you are in September.

A few notes:

If you are coming late to BTFO, you will have to come find me and/or Sandra in order for us to link you up to your small group. Yes, that's pretty annoying, but we are easy to find, and we have quite a lot of stuff to give to you. Incoming students got a USB flash drive this year. We are generally camped out in the JE Dining Room; ask Patricia at the front desk to let you know where that is.

If you did not receive a name tag during registration, I apologize for that. Mail merge decided to hate me this week, and we're still not talking, but once I am off the blog I will be making you yours, by hand, and checking it several times.

If you have lost and found items during this week, Mike G. keeps the YDS lost and found, which is by the infamous candy bowl. Any items given to small group leaders or Sandra and I will eventually make its way there.

If you own an ice cream scoop please bring it to lunch tomorrow! We're having Ashley's, a local favorite (with either lunch or dinner, I can't quite recall...)

Finally, please also remember that we are on a drive to green BTFO a little bit this year. Please try to bring a water bottle to meals, so that we don't run through quite so many cups. Think of how many plates, cups, forks, and napkins we ran through tonight - quite a lot! Just bringing a water bottle will help a TON with this.

Thanks all! Four more days!

-Kate

PS - Matt L., who helped us move chairs in the morning and Gchatted me at 10pm gets a personal shout-out. Thank you Matt!

1 comment:

  1. I had a good time at the first (half-)day. It went well.

    One thought I had, though, was for things to be slightly less "jargony." There is a huge vocabulary associated with YDS (including the term "YDS" itself) that is only known to those with some experience there, which doesn't include me. Words/phrases I heard that I didn't understand - second temple, ISM, downtown. I imagine there are lots more. When it was convenient, I asked what the word/phrase meant but it's not always.

    Thanks!

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete